Are you having a hard time finding shoes for your extra wide feet? Do you feel like you try a whole bunch of different shoe styles on but you always end up empty handed?
Some women might have extra wide feet and a high instep, which will make it more complicated to find shoes that fit.
Have you noticed that every time you take your shoes off there are red marks on your feet? If you are looking for a pair of comfortable extra wide shoes, you came to the right place.
Finding a pair of extra wide shoes can be a frustrating and time-consuming experience, especially if you don’t know hat shoe styles to look for.
The most common mistake I see women make is thinking that once they get a shoe style that is labeled as extra wide, that shoe will automatically fit the shape of their extra wide feet. There are two other key features that the shoes must provide in order to fit the shape of your extra wide feet:
- Depth: This feature will allow your feet to sit deeply inside the shoes and prevent the top part of your feet (instep) form rubbing against the top part of the shoes.
- Round Toe-Box: This feature will prevent your toes from overlapping one another or rubbing against the side of the shoes.
I will expand on these two features shortly.
I have fitted some of the widest women’s feet with high insteps in the correct pair of shoes, and I know which shoe styles work better than others.
The issue is that shoes don’t come labeled as “deep” or with a “round toe-box” , so women are confused about where they are suppose to find them. I know exactly which shoe styles come with a rounder toe-box and are deeper than others, and I will help you find them.
Why am I so confident that I will find the right shoe style for your extra wide feet?
I am an expert when it comes to fitting women’s shoes since I have been working for a specialized shoe store for the last 10 years. Moreover, I have been helping women find the correct type of shoes and orthotics to reduce or fully eliminate the foot and leg pain that they were having. We specialize in women with foot and leg problems, but we provide regular shoe fitting as well.
For the last 3 years I have been helping women find the perfect pair of shoes for their feet online. I have helped many women find extra wide shoes that they didn’t even know existed such as sport shoes, summer sandals, winter boots, dress shoes, office shoes, etc.
I will provide you with a selection of the best extra wide width shoes for women shortly, but first I want to show you what features these shoe styles will provide and how you can figure out your foot size from home.
Extra Wide Shoes for Women – The 5 Most Important Features!
In addition to fitting the shape of your feet perfectly, the shoes that you want to wear for your extra wide feet must provide certain features in order to keep your feet and legs healthy:
- Round Toe-Box: This is especially important if you have extra wide feet, since it will prevent your toes from overlapping each other or rubbing against the side of the shoes. A round toe-box will also prevent the top part of your toes from rubbing against the top part of the shoes. Let me show you the difference between a shoe with a wide toe-box and one with a pointy one. Do you notice how the shoe on the right (grey and pink) has a much rounder toe-box than the shoe on the left? These shoes are the same size in length and width.
- Depth: The deeper the shoes the better. This feature will allow your feet to sit comfortable inside the shoe, especially if you have high instep. Let me show you the difference between a pair of deep shoes and one that is not. Below is a picture of an orthotic fitted in a pair of New Balance shoes (grey and pink) and Asics (all black). Do you notice how deep the orthotic is fitting inside the New Balance shoe compared to the Asics shoe style ?
You will notice the difference more clearly in this second image.
- Substantial Sole: This feature will minimize the impact that your feet and legs take every time they become in contact with the ground. A shoe that comes with a supportive sole will also prevent your feet from collapsing (in case you have flat feet) and will allow you to walk and run straighter.
- Firm Heel Counter: This feature will cushion and protect your ankles. You should always press on the heel counter of the shoes to make sure it feels firm. Do you know what the heel counter of the shoe is? Please take a look at the picture below for clarification:
- Good traction: This will reduce the likelihood from slipping and falling, especially when walking on wet surfaces.
Remember that fit remains our top priority, and if the shoes are not the right size, you won’t get any of the benefits that the shoes have to offer.
Women with extra wide feet have a very hard time finding shoes that fit, and the most common mistake I see women make is to end up buying longer shoes in order to compensate for the width. I strongly suggest that you stop doing this, since you will not only end up compromising your stability, but you will also end up creating all the foot issues mentioned above since your feet will be moving too much inside the shoe.
If you don’t have a good fitting shoe store in your area that you trust, start by reading an article I wrote where I explain the simplest, yet most effective way to figure out your foot size from home. Please go to the link below:
Now that you know what features these shoe styles will provide and how to figure out your foot size from home, you are ready to take a look at a selection of the best extra wide width shoes for women.
The Best Extra Wide Width Shoes for Women ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Keep in mind that I only review shoe styles that I have fitted before, since that is the only way for me to tell how well-made the shoes, the amount of support that they provide, and how they fit.
The first selection of extra wide shoes that I will provide you with are every day shoes:
This selection of shoes fit “true to size”, which means that you need to go a half a size longer of the size that you measure in the shoe measuring scale in order to prevent your toes from rubbing against the front or the side of the shoes.
The selection of shoes below describes the best casual dress shoes for women with extra wide feet:
This selection of shoes also fit “true to size”, which means that you need to go a half a size longer of the size that you measure in the shoe measuring scale in order to prevent your toes from rubbing against the front or the side of the shoes.
If you happen to need a pair of summer sandals to fit the shape of your extra wide feet, you should take an article I wrote where I describe the best extra wide sandals for women. Go to the link below:
Did you know that there is a soccer cleat that is available in extra wide widths? I have fitted this shoe style before and it fits women with extra wide feet and a high instep. You can find this soccer cleat in an article I wrote called:
You shouldn’t refrain yourself from getting a particular shoe style just because you think it will not fit the shape of your wide feet. If that is the case, you can let me know what you are looking for and I will help you find them.
I know there are other shoe styles such as boots, sports shoes, or fashion shoes that I didn’t cover, but you can always leave me a comment below and I will help you find these shoe styles in extra wide widths.
If you happen to have a child with extra wide feet and you can’t seem to find shoes to fit the shape of his or her feet, you should take a look at an article I wrote called:
Indeed, finding comfortable yet stylish shoes can be a complicated task, even more if you have extra wide feet. However, you should never settle for any pair of shoes. Thinking that you will eventually stretch them out or planning to wear them regardless of the pain and discomfort they may cause, is not a smart idea. Moreover, your feet will hurt, and you will end up wasting your time and money.
Another thing to consider is that there are several parts of your body that change as you grow older, and feet is one of them. Feet will most likely widen and lengthen as the years go by. It is highly important, to avoid foot pain and other possible health issues, so you need to find shoes that match the shape and size of your feet.
As always, I hope you found this article useful. If you have any recommendation for a good pair of extra wide shoes, please leave your comments in the section below, so we can all benefit from your experience.